Followers

Pages

Sunday 21 October 2012

Sunday Slipping....

Many people I know, like to treat their Sundays, with a certain ostensible laidbackness and detachment, savouring the day's inability to offer challenge and goals, basking in languid abandon of hectic or mundane pursuits. Not me.  I like to make the most of my Sunday. It's so precious for me that I invariably wake up at 5 on Sunday mornings, regardless of the cool respite (in summers) or the chilling breeze (in winters) that it brings along. This is the day when I consciously live minutely yet leisurely every moment that awaits me.

Let me confess that I'm paranoid about wasting a Sunday. I can't waste Sundays, I don't. So in furtherance of my ambition I start my the day very early. I saunter out of my house, wander in the garden as if I'm lost in wonderland. A bystander could easily mistake my cherished rapport with nature for some philosophical melodrama, perceiving me as a harebrained being who pretends interacting with the flora around him. I wish I could bare my heart and convey to him my heartfelt pleasure within nature's embrace. Something revives between me and the plants, grass, birds and even the air around me on a Sunday. I somehow stand stripped of that sensibility on other days. Perhaps nature has its own ego to handle. May be, like me it is equally capable of retorting with 'If I don't matter to you then you don't matter to me.' Perhaps that's the the reason why I'm never privy to the magnificence of nature's splendor on days when I'm busy giving my mind far greater priority than I give to my heart.

All of this equation goes for a toss on Sundays and old friends meet like lovers, unable to get enough of each other. Even butterflies hover around me and birds seem to fathom my language and leaves and petals feel the affection in my touch for sure. After I have somewhat quenched my week long thirst, I return for a detached and formal indulgence in commonplace activities only to be able to fully offer myself to my private pursuits. I don't even throw a glance at my engine powered vehicles. I either reconnect with my bicycle or even better, I walk. Hearing the zillion sounds that otherwise dodge my ears and seeing those countless tiny events that unfold regardless of being revered and marveled the way they ought to be, I admire this world and the omnipresent beauty that fills it.

I do not even watch Television as I consider it a criminal waste of a Sunday. Sunday is my rendezvous with everyone and everything that I desire and yet never attain despite being a free person. How therefore, can I ever let anything else, small or big, claim me.  Let me just say in one line what I wish to so urgently convey. While on other days I wish time flew, on a Sunday I wish it froze. 

Now, there is bad side to every good thing and the worst part of a Sunday is evening and the time thereafter where one miserly spends the remnants of his favourite day of the week, dreading over the inevitable prospect that in a matter of hours it would stand six days away.

Having confessed about my intimacy with Sunday let me tell you why I'm blogging about in the first place, except the obvious relevance of doing it on a Sunday. As I got up to a aggravating wrong call on my mobile phone at 3 AM today, I could not sleep for quite sometime dwelling on the fear that if I slept then, I might not be able to conform to my ritual of waking up early as I normally do. So I set the alarm to a 5 AM ring and reluctantly shut my eyes.

I woke up at about 11 A.M.

I didn't even know how to move when I saw the 'seconds' hand of my wall clock mockingly going about its job as the other two lay plastered over each other at about an inch away from the '12' sign. I found myself crushed between rage and exhaustion. I turned to my alarm clock for an investigation and was devastated to learn that its speakers had been inadvertently buried into the dense cushion which must have absorbed all its frantic cries obediently emitted by it on time. Swallowing my despair I politely asked my family the cause for not waking me up till so late in the day. I was told that they had to choose between letting me go about my Sunday routine or make an exception considering that I had returned late from my tour last night and after a fair deliberation they had resorted to the latter.


Can I now -  please - at the top of my voice - without holding back -     yell     -     " D A R N"    ?




22 comments:

  1. nice :D i like slow and easy sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. :)
    "on days when I'm busy giving my mind far greater priority than I give to my heart" You have hit the nail on the head here. I am a Sunday lover too for the same reason. It is the only day of the week that I actually "live" life. I am more aware of the world. On weekdays it is more of a dash to the finish line where all we have time to worry about is tasks and deadlines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Anil for your kind appreciation. We all feel the same way about Sundays, don't we ?

      Delete
  3. the only bad thing in Sunday is its only for 24hrs in comparison to all other 5 working days :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. after joining the company and working in shifts ,i have almost forgot the valuable Sunday.You made this day ,my Sunday. :) (smiling)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well written Anupam. I too like to go on walks during weekend mornings and I am able to relate to the association with nature that you have so wonderfully described. Hope the next Sunday gives you double the fun to make up for the lost one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nicely written, I like my Sunday's to be lazy to get recharged for the week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! Envy me, Anupam! All my days are Sundays :) Though for me that connect with Nature happens only on treks which is rarer than your once a week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice thoughts on how to utilize your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops!! I belong to the category which gets up late on Sundays! But I quite liked the idea of getting up early and interacting with nature, the walk and all. Nice! May do it someday, you know! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. keep writing,,,,!!!! many more to come from u....!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of Sundays coming up, buddy! Cheer up :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahaaa ...chillaxxx ... sunday come after every six days :P :P cheer up ,but after reading your post i am also considering to make the best use of sundays rather sleeping and watching tv like a retard :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. For me Sunday is all about cooking ! hahaha my family awaits a sunday for their special mutton curry or curry prawns... Too bad we have to work the other 5 days of the week :P , cmon now get over it, theres going to be another Sunday, thank you family for letting you sleep so long. I havent in a very long time, thanks to my hyper 3 yr old who starts jumping early in the morning out of joy that Mama is going to be home today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to be like this about Sundays. Now that I work from home, things between me and Sunday have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems you enjoy all sunday... I too dont like to miss sundays which gives relax and joy with its own holiday... Your verses shows how u feel the special day.. SUNDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. :) hope you felt better after screaming darn!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha.. My Sundays are spent admist books.. I could use a late wake-up & welcome the few hours of sleep missed during the weekdays. Cherish it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. hahah ... very interesting post... the Sundays are min and mine only .. has been my funda since quite long... thought the idea of spending it differs in most part then yours ... but what a treat it was to read yours... a great thought to pen down ...

    Cheers
    Ritz...

    ReplyDelete